Kodi is a fantastic product out of the box but of course you want addons! Kodi addons expand the functionality of this media centre solution and allow it to do some great things. Whether it be games, movie streaming or quirky applications there is an addon out there for more or less anything. Kodi addons are usually downloaded from repositories and one of the best is the Official Kodi Repository. There are many Kodi addons download areas out there but few that match the Official Repo. In this simple post we will show you how to download and install addons from the Official Kodi Repo and what each section in the repository is used for. If you want to install addons from zip files see our How to Install Addons with Kodi post.
Best Accessories for Kodi Media Centre
Editors choices for best Kodi accessories:
|Lynec C120 Air Mouse Remote with Keyboard||Remote||Wireless remote & air mouse. Full qwerty keyboard|
|Esynic 2.4G Wireless Mini Keyboard||Wireless Keyboard||Wireless keyboard and mouse touchpad|
|TBS DVB-S2 Dual Satellite Tuner||Satellite Receiver||Dual satellite receiver. Two satellite channels at once|
|Toshiba X300 4TB Hard Drive||SATA HDD||Internal mass storage hard drive.|
|WD 2TB Elements Portable HDD||USB UDD||Portable USB hard drive|
The Official Kodi Repository – Kodi Addons, Skins & Tools
The Official Kodi Repository is a repo hosted by the Kodi team and a place where they store addons to freely download. I believe that all addons in the official repository are legal and they do not post addons that stream copyright movies etc (do not quote me on this!). A Kodi repository is an online folder structure that you can connect to with your media centre and browse / download additional files and applications. This repo is perhaps the best Kodi addons download area.
Generally, all Kodi repositories follow the same Kodi addons download folder structure making it extremely simple to find the download you are looking for. A Kodi repository is not just for addons and you will often find skins, tools and other great applications. I will now take you step-by-step how to find and navigate the official Kodi repository. This guide is aimed at Kodi 17 Krypton users but the process if very similar for other versions of Kodi.
Try a new customisable Kodi skin that allows new menus and background music. [Read: Estuary Mod Install from the Guilouz Repository]
Where is the Official Kodi Repository?
To find the Official Kodi Repo navigate down to Addons on the left hand pane of the main Kodi menu structure but don’t click it. You will see on the right hand side of your screen an icon that says Install from repository.
Hit the right arrow key on your keyboard and navigate across to this icon.
Select Install from repository to as shown in the image below:
Interested in movies? [Read: 4 Best Kodi Addons for Old Movies]
You will now be presented with the following screen. Here it lists different places where you can download and install Kodi addons from. You can browse through your current addons or install addons in zip file format from your computer.
Select Install from repository.
You will now be presented with a list of repositories that you have added to your Kodi system. To add additional repositories to this section from other sources you must install their own repository addon. The Official Kodi Repository comes readily available in this section as standard.
Select Kodi Addon repository.
On the screen that follows you will see the default Kodi repository folder structure. All downloadable content is categorized into sub folders. This makes it extremely easy to find the addon or install you are looking for.
Click a folder of your choice to view the addons available to download and install. [Read: How to Customize Kodi Home Screen – Add Kodi Menu Items]
The Official Kodi Repository Folder Structure
Interested in gaming addons? [Read: How to Play Games on Kodi]
Most Kodi repositories follow a standard Kodi addons download folder structure. Details of what you will find in each Official Kodi Repo folder have been outlined below:
- Context menus – Additional menu features for different libraries.
- Game add-ons – Addons for gaming. This includes game library editors, retro gaming emulators and even full Kodi games.
- Information providers – Addons that provide additional information for your media files.
- Look & feel – This folder is generally used for skins but also contains addons that can alter the look and feel of your system.
- Lyrics – Addons that will add on-screen song lyrics to your music collections.
- Music add-ons – Addons that will organise, customise and enhance your Kodi music collections.
- Picture add-ons – Addons that will organise, customise and enhance your Kodi picture collections.
- Program add-ons – This is a very diverse section of the repository providing Kodi programs for a whole range of tasks.
- Services -Tools that run in the Kodi background as services such as scripting tools.
- Subtitles – Addons that will add on-screen sub titles to your movie collections.
- Video add-ons – Addons that will organise, customise and enhance your Kodi video collections.
- Weather< /strong> – Addons for weather forcasts in multiple countries.
- Web interface – These addons allow you to access and control Kodi from a web browser.
Installing an Addon from the Official Kodi Repository
Finally to install an addon to your Kodi system navigate through the Official Kodi Repo folders to find the addon that you want.
Select the addon you would like and it will take you to the addon install screen as shown in the image below:
Here you get all of the available options for the selected addon. In this example we have selected the Kodi Backup addon and as this is not yet installed on our system the only available option is install.
Click Install to deploy the addon to your media centre.
And that’s all there is to it. The Official Kodi Repo is one of the best Kodi addons download areas available and you will find tools for just about anything. Enjoy!